The main mandate of the SPMC is “to carry out and coordinate pest research activities at SUA and to collaborate with other stakeholders within and outside Tanzania” specifically, the mandates specifies the following activities:
- Conduct basic and applied research in the biology and ecology of animal and plant pests
- Undergraduate and postgraduate training in areas of pest biology, ecology and management.
- Support of extension services and provision of consultancy in pest management activities
- Coordination of pest research and management activities at SUA and to foster global collaboration in the area of pest management with stakeholders.
- Serving as a referral centre for research, training and management of pests.
- To develop novel techniques for both diseases detection, landmine detection and other applications of biosensor technology for humanitarian or commercial purposes as may be feasible.
- To develop together with relevant departments at SUA and external stakeholders appropriate degree programs which focus on pest management.